A community website for Mount & Blade: Warband - Napoleonic Wars.

Ajay Ghale
Topic Author

little to no cannons on some maps

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm

--------------------------
The map in question: Every Map that has little to no arty
The issue with map: Alot of players like playing arty... However some maps have a little amount of them such as custom map 3, which only has 2 Artillery Pieces... Which could lead to alot of trolling. Siege of Tolun is also another example which has only 1 mortar spot that everyone wants and little to no people know about it. so it will be an advantage if we have more mortars. Another example is Custom map 5... That one cannon at the far right of the attacker spawn that is very competitive that could get people alot of kills, also including the cannon at the far left of the ship... if we have have more arty, then that will mean people will troll less and saves people from being trolled.
Additional comments (you may also add images to visualize):

EDIT: This will also will cause people to complain less about that they never get to play arty just as gretel said here:

"I agree with Cammy that there should be fair play in regards to the arty, as the same people often use the arty and give other people no chances to use it. I realised I was a bit selfish myself when I used arty all the time but gave no one the chance to try it, but now I mostly play melee as infantry or watch the arty, rather than playing as the arty (the odd game i will still play as arty though, but am willing to share if the person asks). However, that doesn't mean we can put place some sort of 'fair play' rules because that would make far too many circumstances into place, such as spawnkilling or even as far as the ping.

We can't bend the rules as it is first come first serve, meaning that if a veteran wants to use the arty they can, but if a veteran happens to steal the cannon and I see this, I will not be so easy on the veteran just because he can use the cannon. I, myself, will not hesitate in even enforcing these same rules upon an admin if they even dare of attempting to steal a cannon and they know rightly themselves they weren't there first. No one should be immune to the rules, and I would like to imagine if someone even caught me, QuickOne, Bethrezen, Bearly or even Highlord doing this, they would tell us. Just because someone has used the cannon before and knows how to kill with it doesn't mean it is theirs by default. If you see an admin being unfair with a cannon, please do tell a Senior+ about their misconduct. "
--------------------------

Gretel
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: little to no cannons on some maps

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Siege of Toulon has 1 attacking mortar, yes, but it also has 3 cannons for the attackers too. They may not get any kills, but are useful for breaching the walls. One of these cannons can also easily rack up at least 20 kills per round at the start, as it can eliminate the defending shooters on the wall quite easily, other cannons on this map are made for breaching the walls.

As for Custom Map 5, I believe that is the Lighthouse, there are at least 5-6 cannons on the boat, admittedly there are only 3 useful ones; the back one and the 1st 2 near the exit of the boat. There is, however, a new Mortar for the attackers on this map now. It is located on the water out to the right on a pontoon, not many know about this as it is only a recent addition. This map has sufficient arty.

The Zulu map doesn't have any arty too either which is a shame, but i'd imagine that map would be quite broken with some arty on it... But maybe 1 or 2 cannons could be tested? I'm not so sure it'd be balanced though. I can't think of many other examples of lack of cannons, but I think de Chartres (Raining) requires some useful attacking arty, as only 1 cannon is quite useful at the moment, and even then, it doesn't breach any walls just kill like 15-25 people per round depending on luck. I might have a look through the rotation later and have a think of if a map requires more arty or not and ask Kruse if I find any. 

Ajay Ghale
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:19 pm

I forgot to mention the other maps.

Custom map 1:
3 cannons on this one the Howlizer and the 2 cannons near spawn. However I think we should add an extra cannon spot so we can have less people being trolled and people complaining less.

Fort Hoenfels:
Pretty sure I have nothing to say about this one. I am pretty sure that I think we should have an extra cannon. or remove it from the rotation as Max just said the only way to enter without artillery or sapper stuff is to break the many planks on the left side. I do agree with him that it should not be in rotation cycle since its a big map and it should be replaced with the Classic Church map which was removed a year ago.

Custom map 2:
4 cannons for attackers, So nothing to say about this one.

Custom map 3:
There are only 2 cannons on attacker team. Makes it unfair to people that want to play as arty but they don't get a chance. So There I said that we should have more artillery pieces on custom map 3 such as 3 more cannons and an extra mortar.

Zulu Map:
By far the craziest map: So impossible for attackers and easy for defenders. Probably will be because of the new edits Futui made. So I think we should have at least a mortar that will aim at the flag area.

Custom map 4:
Literally the same thing as custom map 3. 2 cannons: the howlizer and the cannon at the left. Will cause people to complain that people don't get a chance at Howlizer and people complain that someone that doesn't know how to use Howlizer will troll with it by aiming too high with it. so I think we should replace the cannon at the left with a howlizer and add another  howlizer somewhere. near the spawn.

Siege of Tolun
I think It will be a little useful to have another mortar at the place where the mortar is right now. but I agree with you as of what you said.

Custom Map 5:
I do agree with you that there are 5 cannons but only 3 of them are useful. However, I haven't played Mount and Blade for over a Month so Idk what edits are made or not. I think we should also remove the doors on the places where the cannons are on the bottom of the boat. and remove the useless cannons and add in cannons that are useful. I also agree we should have a mortar to destroy the sapper stuff and bombard the lighthouse at the top once the attackers reach the spawn.

Custom map 6:
I don't think I have anything to say about this one.

DeChartles:
I Believe I don't have anything to say about this one... maybe we can have the part 1 of the map back?

Custom map 7:
Nothing to mention

Custom map 8:
It has a cannon... but it is Useless. But maybe because this map is more of an attacking map and not a artillery map?

Just saying I could be wrong since as i just said. Some people should have a chance of getting high kills with arty. Plus I know very little of maps currently since I haven't played In over a month as i just said.

Maximilien
Website Manager
Website Manager

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:47 pm

"Some people should have a chance of getting high kills with arty." : No, why?

Ajay Ghale
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:27 pm

"Some people should have a chance of getting high kills with arty." : No, why?

i ment to say all players should have a chance of getting high kills with artillery the reason why is because some players don't have a chance of playing the arty piece they want to get kills so if we have more artillery people will at least have a chance of getting to the leaderboards and not complain about having a cannon that they want

Strategie99
Game Admin
Game Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Awestone:

Custom map 1:
3 cannons on this one the Howlizer and the 2 cannons near spawn. However I think we should add an extra cannon spot so we can have less people being trolled and people complaining less.
I think that this is enough arty on this map. Every arty gets a lot of kills and it wouldn't benefit the balance in my opinion. Also there should be a balanced cannon at defnders side as well. Every attacker cannon/howie has its counterpart at the defenders side, eventhough 2 eventually get lost if the attackers progress. The defenders' cannons also can later be used by attackers.

Fort Hoenfels:
Pretty sure I have nothing to say about this one. I am pretty sure that I think we should have an extra cannon. or remove it from the rotation as Max just said the only way to enter without artillery or sapper stuff is to break the many planks on the left side. I do agree with him that it should not be in rotation cycle since its a big map and it should be replaced with the Classic Church map which was removed a year ago.

From my experience 2 cannons are enough to break the wall fairly quick. One extra cannon would the attackers let breach sooner and shift the balance to attackers. Maybe If the defenders arty would shoot the attackers arty that would change, but I never experienced that. However I don't know how good cannons are at breaking planks, so maybe a cannon at the side could help breaching there and keeping the swivel cannon there busy. But you are right, the first minutes here feel a bit like Fort Bashir.

Custom map 2:
4 cannons for attackers, So nothing to say about this one.

Custom map 3:
There are only 2 cannons on attacker team. Makes it unfair to people that want to play as arty but they don't get a chance. So There I said that we should have more artillery pieces on custom map 3 such as 3 more cannons and an extra mortar.
This is the map I never really saw artillery being used effectivly. Don't know why, but I never had sucess to hit with the attackers cannon. The defenders cannon might be good with cannister shot, but I never tried.
Zulu Map:
By far the craziest map: So impossible for attackers and easy for defenders. Probably will be because of the new edits Futui made. So I think we should have at least a mortar that will aim at the flag area.

I don't know how active you are in the last time, but since the last update and the time increase, I saw multiple times the attackers team(just because I played as attacker to even it out, of course;) )I don't think that every map needs a cannon and can live with this map just for infantry. It is also very small for real cannon. Maybe some swivel cannons for defenders, but other than that, I wouldn't add some.

Custom map 4:
Literally the same thing as custom map 3. 2 cannons: the howlizer and the cannon at the left. Will cause people to complain that people don't get a chance at Howlizer and people complain that someone that doesn't know how to use Howlizer will troll with it by aiming too high with it. so I think we should replace the cannon at the left with a howlizer and add another  howlizer somewhere. near the spawn.

3 Howitzer would smash the defenders at flag. I think this is way too imbalanced for attackers then. I don't know how good the  regular cannons are here, but maybe we could add one at the side.

Siege of Tolun
I think It will be a little useful to have another mortar at the place where the mortar is right now. but I agree with you as of what you said.

The mortar is very good and very popular so the demand would be there, but they are very strong. Maybe the defenders could get one as well to fight against them.

Custom Map 5:
I do agree with you that there are 5 cannons but only 3 of them are useful. However, I haven't played Mount and Blade for over a Month so Idk what edits are made or not. I think we should also remove the doors on the places where the cannons are on the bottom of the boat. and remove the useless cannons and add in cannons that are useful. I also agree we should have a mortar to destroy the sapper stuff and bombard the lighthouse at the top once the attackers reach the spawn.

I think there is only one useful cannon, which is the right one. The others are a mircacle for me. Plus the difference between the visual flight of the cannon and where it actually hits. The new mortar seems interesting, but I never tried it. It's not really well known. Also I wouldn't say it's just for attackers. Defenders could use it as well to bombard the ship. Some say the swivel cannon is good to fire at the top of the light house, but I never had success.

Custom map 6:
I don't think I have anything to say about this one.

Without spyglasses it seems very difficult for attackers to get inside where the cannon ball went. The defenders' cannons can be used with cannister, but since I don't play this map often, I don't know how this is in practice.

DeChartles:
I Believe I don't have anything to say about this one... maybe we can have the part 1 of the map back?

I said something about this in the map forum. I would support to bring part 1 back, maybe as Out of Order Map.

Custom map 7:
Nothing to mention

Defenders' cannons are good, but with only 1 attacker cannon there are often multiple people on it. Maybe we could at one at the roof.

Custom map 8:
It has a cannon... but it is Useless. But maybe because this map is more of an attacking map and not a artillery map?

The cannon can't be useless completely; I saw Hansel getting many kills with it, but you probably need experience.
Just saying I could be wrong since as i just said. Some people should have a chance of getting high kills with arty. Plus I know very little of maps currently since I haven't played In over a month as i just said.

I added my views in blue. I think we could reduce the artillery positions to 4 or so so that there are less people that can steal. I said that already at the map forum of the lighthouse map.
Gretel:

Siege of Toulon has 1 attacking mortar, yes, but it also has 3 cannons for the attackers too. They may not get any kills, but are useful for breaching the walls.
Isn't that the problem^^

Ajay Ghale
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:20 pm

GRETEL! YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!

I now think this will be a great idea to have a server on the Anglo-Zulu mod. We can put the Zulu map there.

The reason why I said that is because it is really unrealistic to have Prussians vs. Russians on this map. Since Britain is the one that did the most Imperialism according to history. creating the largest nation in the world. So what I think is that we should have this Zulu map removed from rotation and that the Zulu map be placed in the Zulu mod server. Making this a server similar to Man vs. Bots. Such as this video that Herishey made here:
So this is what I think what we should do with the Zulu map.

Maximilien
Website Manager
Website Manager

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Mods are dead. The game itself is almost dead.

Ajay Ghale
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:24 pm

I thought Holdfast is dead ever since it became 3 days old

I was even told we had to cancel the Mininaval server on Holdfast... Is that true?

Maximilien
Website Manager
Website Manager

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 pm

I thought Holdfast is dead ever since it became 3 days old

I was even told we had to cancel the Mininaval server on Holdfast... Is that true?
Yes because naval servers would randomly crash. I tried playing Holdfast today again and had no fun playing it. Melee is still bad, you get sniped easily, music isn't good. And yes it's already almost dead, very few players for a newly released game.