A community website for Mount & Blade: Warband - Napoleonic Wars.

Ajay Ghale
Topic Author

Re: little to no cannons on some maps

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Mods are dead. The game itself is almost dead.
I thought Holdfast is dead ever since it became 3 days old

I was even told we had to cancel the Mininaval server on Holdfast... Is that true?
Yes because naval servers would randomly crash. I tried playing Holdfast today again and had no fun playing it. Melee is still bad, you get sniped easily, music isn't good. And yes it's already almost dead, very few players for a newly released game.

then I have no idea why this game is dead... Plus the video I posted was a month old... So I don't know why the Napoleonic Wars mods would be dead... Plus people played the North and South and Bello Civili and I seen players play it for events. So I highly doubt that Mods and the game itself is "dead".

So that means holdfast is more considered "dead" then Napoleonic wars

[32nd]Diamond63
Senior EU Commander Admin
Senior EU Commander Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:03 pm

I think there is enough arty on the maps. After all, this is Minisiege, maps are not big, and every additional cannon, mortar and howitzer would be huge advantage to both teams. 

Loifas
Game Admin
Game Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:35 am

Personally, I think it's not a thing of 'there's not enough cannons' or 'not enough useful cannons' and more of a thing that 'most people just don't know how to use arty' or use an arty piece to it's best potential that it is capable of from it's location.

An example of that is the cannon on the red courthouse map (Can't be bothered looking up the official name, it's what I've always called it), I have no idea how to use the cannon on that, most people don't but there are a few that do. Same with the small swivel cannon on the attacking boat on the lighthouse map.

There's also some maps where arty just doesn't work in the slightest and it's more of a infantry only map, like the mansion map, or for zulu i think any arty would be just too OP if  added considering how tightly packed the map is.

I'd say if any changes were to be made, it would be changing the type of an artillery piece on a map, either removing an artillery piece if it becomes/or is completely useless (and re-adding one later on down the line if it's needed), changing the location of an artillery piece or adding new arty if the map was reworked to suit it.

But hey, that's just my thought process/input on the topic, I'm far from any experience in map making and my word certainly ain't law :)

Bethrezen
Senior Minisiege Admin
Senior Minisiege Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:42 am

We can't just add cannons because people troll and complain when they can't find a free one.
I would rather decrease the maximum number of people who can go arty. Same thing for sappers.

[33rd]Ulrich

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:54 am

We can't just add cannons because people troll and complain when they can't find a free one.
I would rather decrease the maximum number of people who can go arty. Same thing for sappers.
I support idea with reducing number of people who can go for arty. Just imagine what could happen, if default cannons and these EXTRA cannons going be managed by veteran players...This going make not really fun experience for not arty guys.
All life's problems can be solved with a bayonet charge.

Ajay Ghale
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 pm

I support idea with reducing number of people who can go for arty. Just imagine what could happen, if default cannons and these EXTRA cannons going be managed by veteran players...This going make not really fun experience for not arty guys.

I still disagree with this Limiting artillery people limit. It is completely unfair how some maps have more artillery then others like the Custom Map 4 and Custom Map 3. I think we should at least have more cannons on those maps that have less artillery. 

EDIT: Also complaining about that there are less of those "Special" Cannons on some maps like only 1 howlizer and that people complain or troll with it that they don't know how to use it etc.

77y_Kruse!!!

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 pm

As being the current Map Manager, I believe I have to bring in something here.
To be fair, when looking at a map, I do not think of players who complain about too little or too much artillery, how many can go arty or anything.
I look at positions, countering artillery pieces, and general purpose of each cannon being set. I would never personally place more than 3 artillery pieces in one position, then I would rather make a new position for artillery elsewhere, and that is attacking side only.
I will always place some sort of counter-artillery for it too. But it all depends on the map in question.
I would never place more artillery-pieces, because people want more kills.
It is all about the purpose of the map.
I could however, add/remove or rearrange artillery-pieces, if it server a better purpose for the map.
For instance, breaches and bottlenecks.
If you have a specific map where you believe an artillery-piece could do a difference, or its OP and completely impossible to counter, then I would gladly look more into it.
But to be fair, I read this as a general complaint about wanting more artillery-pieces, so people who like artillery can get enough kills.
If I am wrong, then I am sorry, could you perhaps spell it in a different way for me then?
Perhaps give me a picture or 2? I heard a saying that a picture tells a better tale than a 1000 words.
Maps are not made for artillery-guys only. They should be made so that both artillery, line and skirmishers can all have fun in their way.... Cav too when possible.

When it comes to special artillery pieces... Well, they are special after all  [flirt-1.png]
People trolling, that is why we have admins. That people dont know how to use them, and still take them... Well, I hope you have great diplomatic skills on those newbs  [relieved.png]

My opinion, sorry to those feelings I could hurt, it is not meant to hurt anyone, just enlighten people on the opinions of the current Map Manager

Ajay Ghale
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 pm

As being the current Map Manager, I believe I have to bring in something here.
To be fair, when looking at a map, I do not think of players who complain about too little or too much artillery, how many can go arty or anything.
I look at positions, countering artillery pieces, and general purpose of each cannon being set. I would never personally place more than 3 artillery pieces in one position, then I would rather make a new position for artillery elsewhere, and that is attacking side only.
I will always place some sort of counter-artillery for it too. But it all depends on the map in question.
I would never place more artillery-pieces, because people want more kills.
It is all about the purpose of the map.
I could however, add/remove or rearrange artillery-pieces, if it server a better purpose for the map.
For instance, breaches and bottlenecks.
If you have a specific map where you believe an artillery-piece could do a difference, or its OP and completely impossible to counter, then I would gladly look more into it.
But to be fair, I read this as a general complaint about wanting more artillery-pieces, so people who like artillery can get enough kills.
If I am wrong, then I am sorry, could you perhaps spell it in a different way for me then?
Perhaps give me a picture or 2? I heard a saying that a picture tells a better tale than a 1000 words.
Maps are not made for artillery-guys only. They should be made so that both artillery, line and skirmishers can all have fun in their way.... Cav too when possible.

When it comes to special artillery pieces... Well, they are special after all  [flirt-1.png]
People trolling, that is why we have admins. That people dont know how to use them, and still take them... Well, I hope you have great diplomatic skills on those newbs  [relieved.png]

My opinion, sorry to those feelings I could hurt, it is not meant to hurt anyone, just enlighten people on the opinions of the current Map Manager

Well okay, I am just saying my points . i guess Ulrich was right that we should limit the amount of people that can go artillery, And I do not never ever leave something unoticed I did read Someone's point. But I guess i'm wrong and he is right.

And I just say, I don't want to spam all these threads again cause of me complaining about stuff that won't happen anytime soon.

77y_Kruse!!!

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Do bring points of argument, so that the server can improve

Ajay Ghale
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Do bring points of argument, so that the server can improve

Okay then,

I will make a few complaints on a few artillery positions on 2 maps:
  • Custom Map 1:
    The main artillery position I have with this map is the Howlizer. The reason why is because in order to get kills with it, one must aim at the red flowers/the ground in order to get kills, Since Howlizers usually fire much higher then cannons, this make it that if a person aims at the fort with it, it will miss. meaning that the only way to get kills is to aim at the ground. I will upload screenshots when I have time and you will understand what I mean. And most times, people just skip the tutorial on the homescreen and just go straight into the game. Meaning people will start asking for help and they don't listen by aiming at the fort then at the ground. So what I have to say for this map is to move the howlizer farther away from its original position.
  • Custom Map 4:
    Same thing as the thing on Custom Map 1, it is too close near the fort and since howlizers fire higher than cannons, people will start complaining that they will miss because they aim at the fort then at the ground. So I think for this map, It will be fine if we move the Howlizer farther away from its original position. OR Replace the Howlizer with a cannon instead.

I will also quote what Someone said in a previous post:

{
Someone:
Gretel:

Siege of Toulon has 1 attacking mortar, yes, but it also has 3 cannons for the attackers too. They may not get any kills, but are useful for breaching the walls.
Isn't that the problem^^
}

"They may not get any kills, but are useful for breaching the walls." That quote right there is the problem, There are so many artillery positions, they may breach the walls, but they don't bring any kills. Which will make the people not use them. This can also go for the Fort Hohenfels (Day). 2 artillery positions, they sometimes don't bring any kills and they are mostly used for breaching the walls. This is why the attackers sometimes lose on fort Hohenfels, They don't go artillery because sometimes the cannons at the spawn don't usually bring kills most of the time and they are mostly use for breaching the walls only.