A community website for Mount & Blade: Warband - Napoleonic Wars.

HestHest
Topic Author

Melee speed

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Hey I frequent your server and I really like it, but I have one request. Would it be possible to set the melee speed to something a bit faster than what it is at the moment? I think it`s set on slow or medium at the moment and that kind of makes the whole game feel very slow paste. Also it really fucks you up when you`re fighting more than one guy at the same time. Thanks.

Vellene

Re: Melee speed

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Yes, I agree. It is way to slow now.

Maximilien
Website Manager
Website Manager

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:17 am

The server is on medium. The overwhelming majority of public servers are on medium. Linebattles are usually on medium too. So I see no reason to change this.

HestHest
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:19 pm

I was told it was up to The_Highlord to decide

Maximilien
Website Manager
Website Manager

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Not for an important change like that.

HestHest
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:53 pm

Oh ok, that was just what I was told by the admins who were on the server when i first asked. Perhaps you could try out for a while, see how to people like it?

Maximilien
Website Manager
Website Manager

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:35 am

The main point of having it on medium is that if you want to improve your skills it's probably better to use the same combat system that's used on the majority of servers, especially for linebattles.

HestHest
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:27 am

Surely your skills would improve more by playing with fast melee speed

*Marduk (DeadMeat)

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:17 pm

In addition to Max's point about how Minisiege uses the "standard" melee speed used across NW, I will add that increasing the melee speed only makes the game more fun for those players who are already more skilled, and makes the game less fun for anyone who is less skilled or who has a higher ping. The faster speed would only accentuate the differences in skill and ping that already exist.

Experienced players may have the slight annoyance of things moving a bit slower than they'd prefer, but inexperienced players will actually have a chance in combat. As a result a larger number of people can contribute meaningfully to their team's performance and thus find the server fun. Likewise any of the substantial number of people from outside Europe who play on the server would be negatively affected by an increase in melee speed, regardless of their skill level.

Minisiege attracts a large number of players of all different skill levels and from all over the world. Increasing the speed would take the 5-10 players that get the most kills per team and give them even more kills per round, but only frustrate everyone else. A few select players would effectively become gods in the game, and everyone else will go find other servers where they can actually play.

If you want faster melee speeds, there are groupfighting servers and other places where people are closer in skill and geography and where melee is the only focus. However Minisiege focuses on the wider concepts of goals and teamwork, neither of which is served by increasing the melee speed if that increase makes the game arbitrarily more difficult for most players.

For some added context, the Official NA_1 server does not use faster melee speeds for precisely the same reasons.